ESL Casting

Home ] Up ] Waterloo RR ] American Steel ] Mepham Paint ] The Yards ] Majestic ] Sterling Steel ] O'Leary's Tavern ] Wescott Valve ] Key Boiler ] Union Bank ] Theater List ] Pioneer Box Co ] Fertilizer Industry ] Sendelbach Wheel ] ESL Bridge Co ] Gray Construction ] Moss Tie ] Elliot Frog ] American Asphalt ] Intercoastal Paint ] Corno Feeds ] Sandusky Barrel ] Carter Brothers ] Viginia-Carolina Fertilizer ] Malleable Iron ] Darling Fertilizer ] [ ESL Casting ] Midwest Rubber ] Hill Brick ] Kurrus Funeral Home ]

 

EAST ST. LOUIS CASTINGS - 1934

 

East St. Louis Castings was started in 1919 by Ralph M. Hill. Hill, a graduate of Purdue University, worked at Missouri Malleable Iron prior to starting the new company.

Easst St. Louis Castings originally was a stove foundry with just one customer, the Wrought Iron Range Company. In 1929 the foundry was moved from its location on Kansas Avenue to a new location just outside the city at 4200 St. Clair. It was then one of the most mechanized iron foundries in the Midwest. Additional customers were added, some of whom were not stove builders, but basically it remained a stove foundry until 1949 when Mr. Hill died.

193-castings.tif (50228 bytes)

At that time the management was entrusted to Ralph Hill Jr. and Lloyd Farquhar Jr., who had joined the company in 1946 as Vice-president. By this time, stove assemblies were no longer exclusively iron castings. Much steel, pressed steel and plastic had replaced iron in stove assemblies. The foundry was converted to a jobbing foundry with the addition of much equipment in an enlarging process.

In the years that followed the company served a variety of industries throughout the Midwest such as automotive, electrical,agriculture and earth moving to mention a few. The company established a reputation for high quality, low-cost castings and at itspeak employed nearly 400 people.

In the early 1970s Farquhar was made President of East Side Castings with Hill Chairman of the Board. The company continued to prosper until the 1980s but as basic industry declined in the U. S. it became increasingly difficult to run a profitable operation of this type and the business was finally closed in 1985.

 

BACK

 

top.gif (906 bytes)