Spotlight . . .
Community - Campus Day of Service a huge success!
April 20, 2013
On Saturday, April 20th, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign kicked off National Volunteer Week with an inaugural Community-Campus Day of Service. Over 60 students, faculty and staff worked with six community partners on seven projects to complete pre-construction projects, community garden spring preparation projects, flyering in the community, reorganizing classrooms at Tap in Leadership Academy, cataloging choral literature, and preparing a Bee Garden. A big thank you goes out to all who helped on April 20!
Enriching perspectives through community engagement
Parks and Open Space
Studios and courses in the Departments of Landscape Architecture and Recreation, Sport, Tourism have worked with partners to improve the social, recreational, cultural and environmental capacities of parks, open space, and vacant land in East St. Louis. In 2005, a landscape architecture studio worked with community partners who wanted to reclaim vacant land for neighborhood parks. Another group of landscape architecture faculty and students developed landscape plans for community services, such as the Eagle’s Nest transitional shelter for homeless veterans.
Examples of Projects Related to Parks and Open Spaces:
• KaBoom! Build at Illinois Avenue Playground
• Pullman Porter Community Park Wish List, 2010
• KaBoom! Build, Virginia Park, June 2009
• Sunken Garden, May 2009
• Virginia Park, May 2009
• Lalumier Community Garden, May 2009
• Heritage Trail Brochure 1 2006
• Heritage Trail Brochure 2 2006
• Lincoln Park Playground and Pavilion Alternatives 2006
• Jones Park Master Plan 2006
• Pullman Porter Community Park design and implementation, 2005-present
• Master plan and reunion programming for Jones Park, 2005
• Lincoln Park Analysis, 2005
• Eagle's Nest Transitional Housing Facility Site Design, 2003
• Illinois Avenue Playground
• Virginia Park Enhancement, 2001
• Gardening Manual, 1994
Last updated on 7/22/2011